Story of Day :
The Cylindrica Snake Plant: A Complete Guide and Care Tips
Snake plants are popular indoor plants because they are easy to care for, can thrive in low-light conditions, and have air-purifying properties.
Among the different varieties of snake plants available today, one that stands out is the cylindrica snake plant.
If you’re looking to add this plant to your collection or want to learn more about it, then this complete guide is for you.
What is a Cylindrica Snake Plant?
The cylindrica snake plant (Sansevieria cylindrica) is a succulent perennial native to Angola that belongs in the genus Sansevieria.
It’s also known as African spear plant or cylindrical snake plant due to its long cylindrical leaves that grow vertically from an underground rhizome.
Care Tips for Cylindrica Snake Plant
If you’re considering adding a cylindrica snake plant to your indoor garden, here are some tips on how best to care for it:
- Light: This variety of snake plant prefers bright light but can also tolerate low light conditions.
However, too much direct sunlight can scorch its leaves.
- Watering: Allow the soil of your cylindrica snake plant dry out completely between watering sessions.
These plants store water in their leaves and rhizomes so overwatering them can lead root rot.
- Fertilizer: You don’t need fertilizer often if at all with these low maintenance houseplants since they grow slowly even under ideal conditions.
- Pests and Diseases: Snake plants are relatively pest-resistant and disease-free, but mealybugs, spider mites, and thrips may still attack them.
Remove any affected leaves with a sharp pair of scissors to prevent further damage to the plant.
You can propagate cylindrica snake plants through division or leaf cuttings.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Division: gently divide the rhizomes with a sharp knife during repotting.
- Leaf Cuttings: Cut a healthy leaf into smaller pieces and place them in moist soil until they develop roots and small plantlets appear.
The Benefits of Cylindrica Snake Plants
Cylindrica snake plants offer several benefits that make them an excellent choice for indoor gardening.
Here are some of the benefits of growing these succulent perennials at home or work:
- Air Purification: Cylindrical snake plant is one of NASA’s top recommended air-purifying houseplants that absorb toxins like formaldehyde, benzene, trichloroethylene from the air reducing pollutants by upto 50%.
- Natural Decor: The long cylindrical leaves add an exotic touch to your decor style indoors due their unique shape and coloration pattern.
It’s perfect for minimalist interiors since it doesn’t need much care yet adds natural beauty to any space.
The cylindrica snake plant is an exotic variety worth adding to your collection if you’re looking for low maintenance houseplants that also have air-purifying properties.
They thrive in bright light conditions but also can tolerate low light conditions making them versatile indoor garden plants.
By following the care tips and propagation techniques outlined above, you can ensure that your cylindrica snake plant thrives in your home or office while reaping their health benefits too.